Welcome to the Frequently Asked Questions and Reference section (FAQ). Below, we have tried to answer the most common questions visitors to this our Web site may have.  Also provided is reference information related to the buildingings and  situation that occur within them.  If you find that your question is not answered,  please contact us.

Q What projects require building permits?

A  The issuance of building permits and final inspection of certain remodeling projects and various repairs of the unit and limited common elements is handled by the City of Middleburg Heights.  Replacement heating and air conditioning equipment, hot water heaters, electrical fixtures, plumbing fixtures, patio fences and decks are a few of the many items that require permits and final city inspection prior to the use of the new item.  Contact the Middleburg Heights Building Department at (440) 234-2218 for information or to determine if a contractor meets appropriate licensing requirements.   http://www.middleburgheights.com/

Q Where can I find replacement materials used in and around the buildings?

A  Check the Sources section for a list of commonly used materials, the individual rules, such as for patio fence stains, and the contractor referral list.  

Q Can the wood/composite garage doors be replaced with metal doors?

A  No.  Each manufacturer of metal garage doors uses a different stamping pattern in the manufacture of the door.  As doors are replaced we would experience a large number of different doors - which would be unsightly when the 4 doors in a row in most buildings were viewed nest to one another.  Most wood doors last in excess of 20 years and it is unlikely that a metal door would survive without rust through in the same time period.   

Q What is a quorum?

A  A quorum is a minimum number of persons attending a meeting of an organization.  Our by-laws establish a quorum as a majority of the ownership interest in the Association. 

Q What is a proxy

A  A proxy enables someone else - the proxy holder - to take the place of a unit owner and act on the person granting the proxy’s behalf.  In order to achieve a quorum, the Association solicits proxies.  These proxies enables the Board or its designee, to vote on behalf of a unit owner who is not present in person at the Annual Meeting.  It is also possible for a unit owner to direct that a proxy be used only for the purposes of establishing a quorum.  Proxies submitted electronically are used only for attendance purposes. 

What does my monthly fee go toward?

A  Maintenance fees are used to pay for the operations and maintenance of the common elements of the Association.  Generally common element repairs, insurance, administration, accounting, reserves, postage and publications are costs paid for by maintenance fees.  A budget was sent to all unit owners at the beginning of the year which details the exact amounts allocated for specific purposes.  Unit owners may make suggestions for priority items to be considered by the Board at budget time (generally in November) for the next year.

Q  Is the Board paid for their services?

A  No.  Board members, who set Association policy, serve on a voluntary basis without compensation.  General Association operations are discharged to an administrator, condohome limited, who performs under contract to the Association. 

Q Can maintenance fees be paid automatically from my bank account?

A Yes.  You may initiate the service through your bank’s online or telephone bill pay service.  Or use the Association’s Auto Pay service.  Complete and return the Auto Pay form to our accountant.  Continue to pay fees by check until the automatic payments start.  It generally will take at least 90 days for processing of automatic payment requests. 

Q  I have a complaint about my neighbor.  Who do I call?

A  No one.  Complaints must be in writing. Telephone complaints are not accepted.  A service request form is available to document a complaint.

Q My sewer line is backing up.  Who is responsible to clearing it?

Unit owners are responsible for maintaining their plumbing fixtures that serve their unit. The Association maintains the sewer line that serves 2 or more homes in a building and the line from the building to the street.  If the problem affects only one  home, or is traced to a particular unit, the unit owner is responsible for repairs.  If you call a plumber and the problem is found to be in the main line, the Association will consider reimbursement if an itemized, detailed paid invoice is provided with sufficient detail to identify the source of the problem.